Sunday, October 12, 2014

Internal Triangle, The: New Theories of Female DevelopmentInternal Triangle, The: New Theories of Female Development by Lucy Holmes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The internal triangle is when a child interjects mother and father separate and keep the real parent from destroying the child's interpsychic world. This is seen when a child is pretending to be a mother in her play. She is not just mirroring mother but distancing from her

I love the idea that pregnancy changes the woman deeply from one side to the other. Probably because I am soon becoming a father and the idea that it isn't just the baby that is changing us situationaly but the mother is being transformed and reformed by the act of carrying a baby. It is this act that separates the mother from her own internal triangle of her mother and father

I would have to say that reading this book took consistent effort to out these ideas in the book without judgement or critique because it isn't the most naturally appealing ideas and it doesn't fit with my current framework that I allow myself to live in. But I did really enjoy trying out these ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment